Status: For immediate release
Date: 23 December 2019
Subject: Clarification of Ngāti Awa Rāhui Details
- The Ngāti Awa rāhui remains in place until further This prohibits all taking of seafood including fish, from Tarawera River in the west to Ōhiwa in the east.
- Marine activities not related to the taking of fish and seafood are permissible. However, taking of any seafood, including fishing, remains prohibited.
- The Ngāti Awa rāhui was placed on the evening of 9 December by principal spiritual and cultural leaders of Ngāti Awa. The appropriate karakia were performed by them.
- The Ngāti Awa rāhui placed on 9 December was supported by the Pākeke and kaumātua of Ngāti Awa.
- There has been incorrect information circulating regarding the rāhui. To avoid further potential for confusion, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa would ask that the public ignore all information on the Ngāti Awa rāhui that has not come from official Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa communication channels.
- Other neighbouring iwi have also placed rāhui over their territories. Some of those their rāhui have now been lifted, but the Ngāti Awa rāhui remains in place. The best way to be sure of rāhui details is to check with the local tangata whenua of the area you are seeking clarification on.
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa extends our gratitude to those who have – and continue to – recognise the rāhui out of respect for the deceased and the traditional customs of the iwi. For further information and updates on the rāhui, please refer to ngatiawa.iwi.nz.
Official Ngāti Awa Digital Communication Channels
- Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa website – ngatiawa.iwi.nz
- Ko Ngāti Awa Te Toki Facebook Page –facebook.com/TeRunangaONgatiAwa
Dated: 23 December 2019 END